“Oh. A George Michael tribute. The same guy that was Freddie Mercury last month. Shall we go?”
Experience prompted me to take a moment before answering. I elected for “hmmm…”
Proof that I can be diplomatic.
Let me unpack this for you.
- “A George Michael tribute.” A person who may or may not look or sound like George Michael singing his songs. I want to know why the person isn’t singing their own songs. Is this a glorified karaoke, just without audience participation?
- “The same guy that was Freddie Mercury last month.” What? This person is essentially an impressionist, presumably without the humour.
- “Shall we go?” No. Let’s not. Please, God. Let’s really not. Let’s poke our own eyes out, it will be more fun.
As you may gather, I’m not terribly keen on the idea of tribute bands. I’m sure that they are brilliant and it’s a great night out, but I just cannot muster any enthusiasm for them. That’s not Rock ‘n’ Roll.
However, I am keen that we “live”, that we take as many opportunities as we can to have a good time, to live the dream as it were.
Rock ‘n’ Roll (and opera)
A page later, Il Divo. Pop/Opera crossover, and more importantly one of Mrs L’s favourites. Playing the week after UB40 at the Limassol Garden Theatre. Where UB40 was cheerfully good value for money, Il Divo made my eyes water and my wallet cringe.
Both concerts begin at 2100, meaning we won’t be home till gone midnight. Will we turn into pumpkins? Both are outdoor venues, and both are at sea level. Temperatures are likely to be high 80s, low 90s with high humidity to boot. Doing the concert any earlier would be even hotter.
Our “cultural” tally For Cyprus thus far then, will be:
- The Central Band of the Royal Air Force in a modern amphitheatre
- Wine Tasting in a winery
- A street art festival in Limassol
- A tour of the Olive Park
- A book launch in Limassol
- Hamlet in an ancient amphitheatre
- UB40 & Remos in a football stadium
- Il Divo in the Limassol Garden Theatre
Not a bad start, I think.
Amusingly, the promoter suggests ‘formal wear’ for Il Divo. Good luck with that.
My writing is supported by people like you. Membership costs £12 per year. For this princely sum, you will get access to subscriber only posts, direct access to a members chatroom , and a digital copy of any and all work that I publish in the year. Become a member.